Saturday, May 8, 2010

Election 2010





Today is the last day of the campaign period during this election year 2010. Candidates make their last ditch effort to be heard and to ask voters to make them their chosen one come Monday, May 10, Election Day.

Please click on pictures to enlarge.

This is the perimeter fence of my farm fronting the hi-way. Rather than curse the mess, I prefer being amused. My frontage look so colorful with all the posters. And even if the intermittent rains wash away the posters, a fresh batch sprout like mushrooms the following day.

As early as 6:00am, when the sun barely made its heat felt, loud speakers blaring the jingles of the candidates shatter the morning calm. It would be debatable whether the noise would have positive effect on the voters; or the voters would just dump posthaste the candidate for disturbing their sleep, or for peddling a surfeit of promises.


At 7:00am the caravans of candidates started. The caravans were preceded by a traffic police and a number of motorcycle riding supporters. Many candidates were wooing voters by visiting each house along the way. They called this strategy house-to-house. Voters have a tendency to recall or like candidates who have entered their abodes. Still other candidates allegedly invited barangay leaders to their houses for merienda or lunch after which Php 200.00 or Php 500.00 was given for transportation fare even if a tricycle fare of Php 5.00 would suffice. Of course, the names of the visitors/recepients were supposedly listed as the candidates hoped that the visit could be converted to votes. I wondered why I wasn't invited to these lunches even if, last typhoon Frank, I led some men in my impoverished barangay to roll a fallen tree off the road so it would not hinder traffic. Wouldn't this qualify me as a barangay leader? Sayang din ang Php 500.00.

But I like this idea of house-to-house. Because in our impoverished barangay, mga bombay lang nga naga 5-6 ang naga-house-to-house everyday. Not anymore. During the campaign period, kada adlaw naga house-to-house ang mga kandidato. But it saddened me to notice that before the end of the day, ang mga kandidato daw amoy bombay din. And not because their platforms and their promises suck.


I heard that in the city the going rate was Php 1000.00 to Php 2000. Bigtime! But I haven't yet met someone who had actually received. Puro bati-bati lang. Bati ko, kon magboto ka pabor sa kandidato gaan ka Php 2000.00. Kon indi ka pabor, gaan ka Php 1000.00, indi ka lang magkadto sa presinto.

You like my fearless forecast for Iloilo?

For President, it's going to be a landslide for Noynoy Aquino. Iloilo is a yellow country. Yellow ribbons and Aquino posters are on cars, houses, posts... everywhere. Even the posters and streamers of Gloria Arroyo's candidates are in yellow. Yellow is subliminal as a plain yellow ribbon speaks loudly of someone's political leanings. Iloilo is trumpeted by Manny Villar as his home province. But Villar is seen here as a filthy rich corrupt businessman. People are waiting for his money. But so far, they have not received any. And to Villar's dismay, Frank Drilon happens to be from Iloilo. And Drilon speaks Ilonggo. While Villar speaks only about how poor he was before he hit bigtime.

For Vice President, it's Mar Roxas. Period.

For Senators, the surprise win is that of Risa Hontiveros-Baraquel.

For Governor, it's hazy. I hope the young one wins. But many believe that the old one who was also a former Governor, was never accused of corruption during his time, unlike the outgoing Governor who is the father of the young one. Ergo, it's OK to vote for the old one.



And how about my choices?

For President, the foremost quality I am looking for is trustworthiness. I will vote for the one I trust to prosecute Gloria Arroyo relentlessly and credibly, for crimes she committed while in office. Future Presidents must be given a lesson that they can not do anything they want as President because they can be prosecuted after their terms. For this I am voting for Noynoy Aquino.

For Vice President, I am voting for Mar Roxas.

I am voting for all the Liberal Party Senators, except Sergio Osmena and Ralph Recto. In their places, I am voting for Satur Ocampo and Liza Maza. Aquino and Roxas need all the help they can in procecuting Arroyo and in furthering the cause.

For Partylist, it's Akbayan.

In the local level, it's too personal. Iloilo is a small place. Candidates are friends, acquaintances, fraternity brods, or blood relatives. I'd rather keep silent on this.@
Saw this streamer in Capiz. Board Memeber is a new position up for grabs only in Capiz.

No comments:

Ga-patad ka sa LOTTO? I-memorize ang numero nga ini....

free counters

Mga Astig