Friday, August 21, 2009

Today is August 21.

Today is a HOLIDAY in the Philippines. No work. Today is a big blessing to many who have to make quality time with their families.

But why is today a holiday? Insa?



I tried to refresh my memory of the days that made this day significant. As I juggled with my memory, I was also browsing the Facebook of somebody whom many thought was like me. And I thought I was like him when I was his age - a student leader, aware and involved with social issues, and brimming with idealism and enthusiasm. But I have not fully grasped the depth of his leanings and involvement. Maybe I was biased as I've always regarded him as a child. But seeing a picture in his Facebook jolted me.

As regards him, this was the third time I was jolted to the fact that he has grown.

First time was, when I saw hairs in his armpits. We were in Bohol then, during our annual family long travel. It was hot and we were in sleeveless shirts. It was not the first time that I saw him in similar attire. But this was the first time I saw the hairs. Astig. I always thought he was just a kid. Ngayon, puwede na makabuntis.

The second time I was jolted by this kid-turned-man, was when I heard him speak in a public forum. I knew he was a good public speaker as he was a student leader. But he had never practiced his speeches before me, if indeed he was even practicing. And I never had the opportunity to attend any activity where he spoke. But in this public forum, both of us were slated to speak. And friends who attended were ready to make comparisons. I surmised, he was a very good speaker. And, no, I didn't realize he had grown. On the contrary, for the first time I realized that I HAD grown. I had never entertained the thought of being old. But this time, yes, I felt old. Because here was a man of the next generation, who proved he was ready to take over. Yes, he was good if not better. Yes, I felt old. As many of my classmates and contemporaries looked and acted old. But age is just in the mind.

And now I was jolted again.

His Facebook was nice to read. He looked good in his pictures now that he is with his parents abroad. He looked better now as compared to the last time I saw him when, as his guardian,I accompanied him to NAIA. And I knew him more by his Facebook - his love for country, family, friends,travel. But then I saw this picture. Could he be reading my mind? Can he walk on a path untrammeled by me and still head for the same destination? That picture was of a man he had never seen as the man died before he was born. That man was not as big as Satur or Mao because that man was only big to those who had faced him and worked with him. I thought that nobody knew that man because he was not fodder to contemporary media. And it really jolted me to see THAT picture. To me, whoever in the next generation who admired Lean might have thoughts deeper than mine. Whoever thought Lean was worth emulating is destined for greater heights. Because I knew Lean. I had rubbed elbows with Lean. I'd been there before to tell the great things done by Lean. Yes, the picture I saw in the Facebook of my nephew was that of LEAN ALEJANDRO. And to me, August 21 is not only for Ninoy but also for Lean and for the many others who lighted a candle during the dark nights of the Marcos dictatorship and had died without seeing the light of a new day. @

No comments:

Ga-patad ka sa LOTTO? I-memorize ang numero nga ini....

free counters

Mga Astig